Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm no seamstress


I can't believe I've never written about fashion in sl. My gawd. Having grown up with a seamstress granny who taught me how to thrift, I am well obsessed with clothes. I settled in Caledon because of the intellectual scene but, let's face it, the population are some of the best-dressed on the grid. Now and then I'll come up with some idea for an outfit, but I'm not sure I have the patience (or the equipment - hard to make buttons using a touch pad). I think I'll leave it to the array of incredible designers out there. My last attempt at dressmaking was for a Victorian gown based on an 1883 travel album containing albumen photographs from India. The top of the dress includes an image of the Tomb of Altamash in New Delhi, which was built in 1235. See how the architectural forms reflect the feminine, as in renaissance and baroque architecture, which acknowledged the human form. These forms are later seen in the work of the artists of the Art Noveau movement, who reveled in the fanciful, swirling line known as "whiplash", which celebrated the sensual female figure...and why shouldn't we celebrate that figure, eh? Here's an example of a designer whose clothing absolutely adores all figures: Hyasynth Tiramisu.