Sunday, November 2, 2008

Collecting fine slart



I purchased my first piece of slart, finally! It's a portrait by Cienega Soon. This piece, titled Crosley, reminds me of a poster torn off a light pole by a club kid on the way home at sunrise. I was drawn to it for its warm and papery surface, not often seen in portraits of avatars. It's a departure from Cienega's other work, which has a much more steely pallet, with fantastical subjects and lines that made me think of Richard Dadd (who painted the Fairy Feller's Master Stroke and Crazy Jane). Time slid away and stories formed in my head as I found myself falling into a number of her photographs, wanting to know more, the sign of a good story teller, the sign of a fine artist.

See her work at the Castle Valeriya Artist Gallery or on flickr.